If you tense up just thinking about going to the dentist, you may benefit from sedation dentistry offered by Staten Island Dental Care.
Millions of Americans stress out when they have to see the dentist. It is referred to as dental anxiety. There is a more severe form, too, called dental phobia. In both, some people would rather skip the dentist altogether than sit down for a checkup. The problem with that, of course, is it puts their dental health at risk.
Whatever the cause, sedation dentistry has helped millions of people get through their appointments.
Three Types of Oral Sedation
- Nitrous Oxide. You also know this as laughing gas. Nitrous oxide has been used in dentistry for more than a century and is highly effective.
- Oral conscious sedation. You take a sedative an hour or so before the appointment. You won’t sleep, but will be in a deeply relaxed state. When the appointment is over, someone will have to drive you home.
- IV Sedation. As the name suggests, this is a sedative that is administered intravenously. You will enter a deeply relaxed state and will need an escort for a ride here and back.
Two Suggestions for Reducing Dental Anxiety
- Meditation: This is a good way to clear your mind of negative thoughts before an appointment.
- A Good Night’s Sleep: Being well-rested can help calm frayed nerves.
Don’t compromise your dental health by skipping the dentist! Sedation dentistry from Staten Island Dental Care may be just for you. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. We serve satisfied patients in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Bayonne. Contact us for an appointment today!
Contact Staten Island Dental Care – Dr. Frederick Hecht:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):