Periodontal disease, typically called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can be present where there is no tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.1
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is critical to see your dentist regularly. To schedule a periodontal disease exam, call Staten Island Dental Care – Dr. Frederick Hecht today at 718-761-5757 .
1“Periodontal Disease Affects Nearly Half of the U.S. Population,” American Dental Association, June 15, 2015, http://www.ada.org/en/science-research/science-in-the-news/periodontal-disease-affects-nearly-half-us-population, accessed June 6, 2017
Contact Staten Island Dental Care – Dr. Frederick Hecht: 718-761-5757
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):